25 Jun Translation in motion
Translation in Motion is an international initiative launched in February 2021 by a cluster of translation centres from eight European countries from the Western Balkans and EU-member states. Translation in Motion’s ambition is to push for and aid the increase of the number, diversity and quality of literary works available to readers across Europe.
We believe literary translators are influential and driven ambassadors of intercultural dialogue. By giving audiences access to the wealth of literature written in other languages, hey are the key players in the mutual enrichment of European literatures and culture.
We recognize literary translation centres and residencies as the strategic institutions backing the creation of quality literary translations. They offer translators time for focused creative work on a literary translation project, the opportunity to immerse themselves in the local culture and source language and of their translation, to carry out research, discover new literary voices and exchange with colleagues.
The Translation in Motion initiative, hence, will support international mobility and professional development of literary translators working from and into the languages of the Western Balkans as well as the networking and expanse of translation residency centres.
- Translation residencies for literary translators working from and into the languages of the Western Balkans in nine centres across Europe
- International workshops for literary translators working into the languages of the Western Balkans
- Opportunities for translation residency centres in the Western Balkans and in other European countries to network and exchange, with view of the further internationalisation of their vital work
- A comprehensive mapping of all translation residency centres all over Europe, alongside description of their business models and programs
The project will connect the relatively new translation centres from the Western Balkans with suchlike organizations in other parts of Europe and give them equal footing in the future joint activities of the European network RECIT. Along the way, project cooperation will nurture new contacts within the translators’ milieu across Europe but also within the book and literary sector at large, as well as with cultural policy-makers.
The professional development workshops will lay the groundwork for a sustainable system for vocational training in literary translation in the Western Balkans that will increase employability, confidence and motivation of literary translators working from and into Western Balkan languages.
Ultimately, the Translation in Motion project is about a diverse and lively flow of translated literature across European languages and about new and long-lasting partnerships, based on equality and mutual understanding.
The European network RECIT is partnering for this project with literary residencies from all over Europe – from Ventspils (Latvia) in the North to Tirana (Albania) in the South.
Our partners and associates include:
- Collège International des traducteurs littéraires in Arles (France)
- Krokodil in Belgrade (Serbia)
- Open Cultural Forum in Cetinje (Montenegro)
- Baltic Centre for Writers and Translators in Gotland (Sweden)
- Goten in Skopje (North Macedonia)
- Next Page/ Literature and Translation House in Sofia (Bulgaria)
- Poeteka in Tirana (Albania)
- International Writers’ and Translators’ House in Ventspils (Latvia)
- National Centre for Writing in Norwich (UK) and British Centre for Literary Translation in Norwich (UK)
Watch the official video about the Translation in Motion project:
The Translation in Motion project (1/2/21-31/8/23) is co-funded by the Creative Europe programme of the European Union.
Follow RECIT’s website to be up to date with news regarding the project’s progress.